Tuesday 5 May 2020

MacTech’s Motorcycle workout program...


First off, im pretty badly out of shape, but I was much worse a year ago, had a car accident that broke my right ankle, then had a near death experience on the surgical table as I was in such abysmal shape, let’s put it this way, my Yamaha Vstar 650 Classic weighs about 600 lbs or so, and at the time, I almost weighed as much as it!I’m not proud of that, the accident was the reality check I desperately needed, you could say the accident saved my life, if I kept on ignoring my tenuous condition and never got into the car accident, it’s doubtful I’d be here today...(Please, no religious platitudes, I’m allergic to them... ) ;)Anyway, Doofenschmirtz style Horribly Scarring Backstory out of the way, on to the meat of the post.... Mmmmm.....Meat....After I recuperated enough to be partial weight bearing, I got a membership at the local gym affiliated with the local hospital, and was making decent progress, dropping a significant amount of weight during the hospital/rehab stays and continuing as I went through with recuperating, I was really making progress....Then the COVID pandemic happened and the gym closed for the foreseeable future to be incorporated into the hospital’s pandemic strategy, so I lost a major workout option...I do have an old Xbox 360 with Kinect and Your Shape: Fitness Evolved, and it helps, but it’s mostly aerobic and I’m starting to plateau, don’t want to backslide...So I’ve started using my bike as my weight resistance training tool, I mainly putter around my housing development park at around 10 MPH in third gear, and the combination of balancing and steering head corrections actually gives me a pretty decent workout, after a 15-20 minute putter, I feel like I’ve had a good arm session and leg session, if I really want to work out on the bike, I ride over to the gym’s empty parking lot and practice my low speed maneuvers and emergency stops...I find it actually takes more effort to do low speed maneuvers than at road speed, partially because inertia and gyroscopic forces do most of the work stabilizing the bike at speedI’m sure as I get stronger and healthier I’ll see less benefits from the “bike workout” and low speed maneuvers will be easier, but for the moment, my lack of fitness let’s me get a better workout from the bike, and it’s better than sitting on my arse getting fatter.... via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ge6qv7/mactechs_motorcycle_workout_program/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment