Sunday 15 March 2020

What's the last bike you found to be a "Surprise and Delight"?


Kinda in the market but not really.... been travelling ~60% for the last year and considering getting a bike for my other "home"... I was at my local shop getting some oil and filters and noticed they had a 2009 Harley Davidson XR1200 with the used bikes.I had them throw me the keys and grabbed a helmet for an extended test ride. I have to say, the hour or so I spent on the XR1200 was one of the best "first experience with a bike" I can recall. I loved the thing... Power was plentiful and immediate, it was nimble, planted and overall an absolute joy to ride. The only indication I'd been throwing around a ~590 lb bike was a slight soreness at the bottom of my calves.The ride was about as far from "the Harley experience" as you can imagine. Reasonably high center of gravity--almost Buell-ish rather than that classic Soft tail couch-cushion-perched-atop-a-boulder feel--where you're levering the mass down by your feet to turn.Snappy power response, almost motardish in application and the bike BEGS to hammer down. Satisfying exhaust note with a relatively settled-feeling chassis. Looking down, it's obvious that the engine is rocking away relatively decoupled from the rest of the bike. And going over bumps is very disconcerting because the weight keeps the bike planted and the suspenders just soak it up.The switch gear is a bit awkward. With a push once on each side and again to disengage turn signals and (on mine) a horn that didn't work. Overall a super fun bike that I'm surprised they didn't sell a lot more of... Here's the cycle world write up from when it launched:https://www.cycleworld.com/harley-davidson-xr1200-sportster-road-test-motorcycle-review/And, there was even an AMA spec series back in the day (2011, in this case)....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwKAXfnAIVMSpec series had a mfg kit for racing ~$1,500: https://www.seeker.com/how-to-take-a-harley-davidson-sportster-xr1200-from-street-to-racetrac-1765393775.htmlI ultimately didn't buy the bike. Not because I didn't like it, but it was on consignment at the shop and the deal would have worked out to about a 60% mark-up over market all told....So what was the last time a bike completely defied your expectations and surprised and delighted you? via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/fjdnu7/whats_the_last_bike_you_found_to_be_a_surprise/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment