Sunday 15 March 2020

1000 Mile MT-09 Mini Review!


So I recently traded up from my R3 and got myself an MT-09! It's definitely a jump but after about 5 years on the R3 I was wanting hard for something more. Suffice to say MT-09 delivers pretty damn good!-Things I like--The star of the bike is absolutely the motor. It sounds great, makes power everywhere and doesn't give a damn what gear you're in. It's a joy to wring out and I can't help doing so, love it to death. This motor could be in a bad bike and it would still be worth the price of admission.1st or 2nd gear and it power wheelies like a champ. Seriously the jokes about this thing being a unicycle are 100%. Roll on wheelies are at your beck and call and even 3rd will come up with a touch of bounce.-Aesthetically to me at leastways the bike is fantastic. It looks like it just flew in out of 2120. It's loud, a bit garish and more than a little anime and that suits me just fine.-Traction control is very nicely tuned in setting 1. It lets you lift the front for days but if you hit say a spot of mud mid corner it helps tremendously for keeping the ass end in line. TC2 won't let you lift but I bet it's great in the rain.-Abs, but the front only. I haven't needed it yet, but it's comforting knowing it's there.-The bike feels incredibly light. It's flickable, and effortless to move around at low speed or off the bike. It doesn't feel as low slung as my husband's FZ07, but that's fine.-The headlights are great. They look good and provide a nice wide field of light. Waaaaaay better than the R3.-The brakes. Sure they're not brembos, but they have pretty good feel and haul me down from supralegal speeds pdq.-Things I Don't Like--ABS, at the rear. I used to brake slide the tail of my R3 around all over the place. The MT-09 absolutely doesn't allow that and it's a bummer.-No Cruise control. Come on Yamaha, the Tracer has it. Why can't my 09?-The exhaust. It's too quiet and looks like it weighs 7000lbs.-The Riding position. This is a combination of issues. The bars are too high and wide, the seat makes you sit on the tank and pegs are weirdly narrow. I feel like I'm riding a giant dirt bike, but an uncomfortable one.-The seat. Just to reiterate it's tragically bad. It's flat yet still pushes you into the tank and doesn't have a rear bump to make you feel locked into the bike, and the material is smooth and I slide back during hard acceleration. Will be replacing it with a Corbin gunfighter asap.-The dash quite frankly sucks. It provides all the info needed sure, but it really looks cheap and hard to read at a glance.-Blinkers. It's a modern Yamaha with 90s blinkers as usual.-The Suspension. It's supposed to be better on the new ones, but it's still really soft and bouncy in the rear.-Throttle tuning. It's mostly fine on roll on, but there's this obnoxious spot between 3800rpm and 5500rpm where it's very jerky and the engine braking feels super inconsistent.-Final thoughts-Despite having a few nitpicky problems with the bike, the overall package is great, especially for the price. I can see myself riding this for the next decade at least and being happy every mile, especially as I mod out the few genuine short comings like the suspension and tuning. It's just about the perfect 2nd bike. And I do emphasize second bike. People who suggest this thing as a first bike to novices are insane. I feel it's far too powerful and hairy at speed for the inexperienced. But if you know what you're doing it's great. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/fjdc9y/1000_mile_mt09_mini_review/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment