Monday 23 September 2019

I'm a new rider whose learning how to ride from my boyfriend whose rode for years, however, his "teaching" is starting to make me not want to ride at all. I need advice.


Hey all. I know this may not be the typical motorcycle post, but it's frustrating me tremendously. I don't even know if this should be posted here or in r/relationships at this point, but since it's strongly bike related and possibly someone can relate, I'll leave it here. I got my M2 back in April - passed easily through the MSF course. I've practiced in parking lots since last year on his Yamaha Radian 600 and some other bikes as well. I just got my first bike bought and insured near the end of August. It's a Honda CBR125, so a good size for me since I'm a 5'2, 112 pound who has no past experience. I've practiced multiple times on a dead end street and one time around the block while he followed behind me in a car. Today was the first ride we wanted to do with him and his bike and me on my bike (he had to work on his bike most of the summer since the engine was messed up, and he finally got it fixed). So, I tell him I want to stay in residential areas since again, this is my first time going farther than what I have been doing. He seemed alright with it, though slightly annoyed. We get on the road and I'm enjoying myself, I'm following behind him and we're doing loops around this big residential area and exploring quieter streets. However, every time we stop I notice him getting increasingly mad at me. He tells me to go faster (speed limit is 40kmh, I was doing 45) because "the main roads go fast and I need to prepare for that". I don't wanna speed obviously, I'm not ready yet, so I was confused. It seemed every time we got to a stop sign or did check-ins, it wasn't encouragement, it was him expecting me to do things at his skill level. I told him I was trying, and he said "Why the attitude?", so I replied "I just said I'm trying", and he told me to F off before taking off without me. This upset me greatly. We went home and I confronted him about it, where he just said "maybe you should get someone else to teach you how to ride, or ride by yourself". This hurt me so bad. Riding has been a dream of mine for so long, and I feel like this isn't how I should be taught. This isn't the first time he's pushed me like this either - even when I was practicing on dead end streets he upset me by doing the same thing. Am I overreacting? I'm just trying to do what I'm comfortable with right now, which I told him is slower, residential areas. How do I actually improve? Do I throw myself on busier streets, or is what I'm trying to do alright? via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/d8eeq5/im_a_new_rider_whose_learning_how_to_ride_from_my/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment