Tuesday 11 September 2018

Things I learned my first day on my bike


Just got a V Star 650 for a starter bike. I rode it for about 2 hours today just around the lower-traffic areas of my city. That being said I also completed the motorcycle training course in Ontario, but that was on a dirt bike which felt very different to ride.Here are some things I learned:Car drivers do not care about you. I stalled making a right turn. I started back up and began going immediately. Apparently this 5 seconds was too long a wait for the SUV behind me and she went around me in the intersection. Another driver even honked at her for her stupidity.People are always trying to kill you. I had an old lady pull out in front of me already. Luckily I am always looking ahead and am getting better at doing everything without having to look down. I managed to perform a simple emergency braking maneuver and avoided hitting her. I also had to give her the finger, sorry. Oh, another lady almost pulled out in front of me in an intersection as well. I read someone say on Reddit "treat the bike like everyone on the road wants to kill you" and this is so true it hurts.Don't look down. Always look to where you want to go. I was very nervous about turning and even turning from a stop. This was all fixed by simply looking to where I wanted to go 100% of the time. It's crazy, it's like your body just automatically knows what to do to get you where you're looking.Not all fellow bikers are friendly. In the training course a lady told me to wave at my fellow bikers. I found mixed results with this. About half of them waved back, and half of them didn't. A guy pulled up right beside me in an intersection and I said "whats up brother" and he either vaguely nodded his head or ignored me outright. My best advice for people with social anxiety like me is to wave and if they don't wave back then fuck em.Gear gives you confidence. I rode mostly with all my gear, but got really hot so I took off my armored jacket. This caused me to lose a great deal of confidence. Wearing gear seems to have mental benefits as well as physical ones.This is not a car and things on the road matter...a lot. I almost ate shit pulling out of the beach parking lot because there was a tiny amount of sand on the road. The bike did the swing and swerve but I managed to ease off the throttle and regain control. It's amazing just how much of an impact even the paint on the roads has for motorcycles. I am now super aware of even things like sewers.Besides the beginner anxiety and minor stumbling blocks it was extremely fun. Thanks for reading. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/9f1z6q/things_i_learned_my_first_day_on_my_bike/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment