Monday 20 August 2018

About to embark on an 8 week, 10k mile ride. I'm celebrating my final medical release after my crash 15 months ago.


I'm a lifetime rider, lucky enough to grow up on two wheels. With my lifetime of seemingly good luck, I've had a handful of spills, but I was always able to at least limp back to the bike and ride to safety. In late May of '17, an SUV pulled out in front of me, no potential to avoid it. I remember trying to lay 'er down and get my rubber toward it, but it's damn certain I didn't get what I wanted.Fast forward, had my final minor surgery a few weeks ago, and my follow-up visit confirmed that it's all behind me now. How better to celebrate than to start riding, and not stop for about 2 months? I figure that's about how much seat time I missed out on last year. Salvaged and rebuilt my bike (V-strom 650) and a few months back I purchased a good friend's crashed bike (Ninja EX300) and got it back in shape. As luck would have it, an adventuresome friend happened to find himself in a situation where joining me was possible. I had the spare bike, so he's flying out to join me and we're gonna have us a mighty bike tour.We're leaving Seattle on August 23rd and the general plan is make our way across Canada, probably to Nova Scotia, then around New England and down the east coast toward Tennessee, where I'll spend some time catching up with family and friends, since we're both from middle Tennessee. Then a more southerly route back west toward southern California and then work our way back north towards Seattle.We'll mostly be camping, probably doing regular lodging when it's really time for shower, laundry, and long hard sleep. This all has come together in the last month, and it feels absolutely fantastic to gear up to do this thing. I clearly remember during my time in the hospital, being asking if I still intended to ride a motorcycle. It was never a question for me, I told them the price I was paying was worth the pure joy it's been for me in my first 40 years. If I can make it another 40 before I have to pay again, then I'm damn lucky. I really do feel damn lucky.May you all ride safe, and the fair winds be at your backs. Cheers, enjoy the ride! via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/98rj9j/about_to_embark_on_an_8_week_10k_mile_ride_im/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment