Sunday 27 October 2019

Fatigue, a zero-speed drop, and wearing gear: A story


The weather is turning good around here so of course this weekend I went on a couple hour's long ride. About 3/4 the way through the trip, I parked up the bike at a shopping centre and headed inside for a late lunch. Felt a bit crampy and tired as you do after hours in the saddle but didn't think much about it.After lunch, heading back out, I swung my leg over the bike and as I was doing that somehow my tiredness and maybe a bit of food coma kicked in and I somehow lost all ability to balance and instead of keeping the bike upright to start it I managed to keep pushing right until I went over the tip point and, yep, managed to pull my own bike right over and onto myself, trapping my leg.Idiot.Shoppers saw it happen, came to my rescue and helped me pick up my bike off of me and back onto the stand. Damage to the bike is basically cosmetic (scratches - frame sliders are worth the investment!)I learnt two lessons: First, fatigue and motorcycles don't mix. I didn't realise just how tired I was. I should have taken a much longer break.The second, wearing gear is important. I had boots and motorcycle jeans on. This was a car park drop, but it was 40 degrees C and the bike was still hot. It was tempting in that weather to ride wearing sneakers and shorts - if I'd done that, instead of a sore ankle I'd probably be also looking at second degree burns from the exhaust.In 6 years of riding, this was my first drop, and it happened at 0 km/h... via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/do2slw/fatigue_a_zerospeed_drop_and_wearing_gear_a_story/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment