Wednesday 23 October 2019

City deemed my motorcycle abandoned


Honestly I don't have any expectations for this post, just wanted to share. I live in Boston, MA, and today I got a nasty surprise of a sticker plastered onto my front fender saying my motorcycle was deemed abandoned. Looked it up and anyone can report a vehicle abandoned if it hasn't moved in 72 hours. I live in a place with unlimited free street parking, it's totally legit to leave it there long periods and while I imagine most people use their cars for regular commuting, I'm sure people leave their cars there for days at a time on occasion.​The city doesn't look for vehicles that haven't been moved in 3 days - a neighbor had to report it. I can't believe they've done this. It's a frigging motorcycle, and the weather has turned cold! And it has been parked for longer than 3 days; it's been a few weeks, but still. I thought it would be no problem. Heck, I've kept a motorcycle in a single spot for an entire winter in the city before! These aren't demarcated spaces, it's not taking an entire parking spot. It's a tiny sliver of a quiet road.​I just can't believe people. I forgot to mention earlier - I apparently have to pay a $250 fine. Oh and it's like impossible to get the sticker off my fender. So yeah; great job Boston.​Update: I called the help line. The law is that any vehicle deemed abandoned must be removed from public roads. I have absolutely zero recourse. I can't just drive it to a different road - which would prove it is not abandoned! So I guess my plan is to garage it for the winter, and maybe get new license plates come spring. I don't know. This sucks via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/dma5uk/city_deemed_my_motorcycle_abandoned/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment