Saturday 7 September 2019

This week I hit a curb, hard


Hey all, long time listener first time caller.Two months ago I got my first street bike, a beautiful lightly used CBR600RR. These two months have been pure post-marital honeymoon bliss, until two days ago.Three days ago I had the frightening misfortune of hitting a curb at speed. I was on my way home and took a curve at an entry speed that was far, _far_ outside of my ability to lean the bike into (or maybe even possible for the bike to retain traction even with a skilled rider on street tires). I've been riding on the street for about two months and thought I knew what I was doing. I did not. I began to lose traction as I went to lean the bike, realized I was losing it, and proceeded to squeeze as much speed off as I could before smashing directly over the curb, heading into the easement and eventually tearing a rut through a corner lot's lawn. The sensation of heading toward that curb at probably 35-40mph was nothing short of absolutely jaw-dropping sphincter-clenching soul-screaming existential terror. I probably hit it at around 30mph. The only coherent thought in my head apart from FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK was: is this really happening right now?And yet...I emerged physically unscathed. The bike stayed upright. I hit the curb at enough of an angle that I didn't bounce off and high-side. I learned a few valuable lessons from this experience and I wanted to share them with you all, because I got LUCKY. I didn't deserve the luck - I did nothing to earn it - so I feel the best way to try to even out my karma is to pass as much of it on as possible to other riders so they don't make the same mistake.A few lessons from the experience in no particular order:- A motorcycle can hit a full-sized curb more-or-less head on at 30mph without dumping the rider. No injuries sustained. Of course I immediately blew out my front and back tire and bent both rims, but heretofore those seem to be the only injuries to the bike. Time will tell if there's damage to more expensive components...- It's a platitude but it's true: it takes just one mistake. You can be a shining mormon on the bike 364 days out of the year, but that one day is all it takes to total your bike, kill yourself, or kill somebody else. Every time you swing your foot over the seat you need to understand the importance of having full control of your vehicle, always.- PTSD is a real thing. I've had recurring nightmares all 3 nights since the incident. I cannot stop reliving the three seconds between realizing what was happening and the impact with the curb, the feeling of having absolutely zero control over my destiny, the sound and the visceral shudder of the bike as it made contact...as I type this my stomach is churning with dread.- I got so, so, so lucky. I know I already touched on this but it's true. No police involvement. No injuries. No witnesses. No cars or large obstacles parked in my path. Minimal damage to the bike, and the dealership I got the bike from insisted on wheel and tire protection because my state is notorious for potholes. So it's looking like I'll also emerge without a dent in my wallet. I don't deserve a second chance but I'm going to use it for good.- I need more training. I'm going to be enrolling in an intermediate rider course in the spring. It'll be one of the first things I do on my bike after pulling it out of storage.Anyway, thank you for reading. If you have a relatable story I'd love to read it in the comments. Also any advice on other subtle things I should look out for as far as needing repair on my kit after the accident is greatly appreciated. Thank you all and be safe out there. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/d0t3os/this_week_i_hit_a_curb_hard/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment