Monday 2 September 2019

30 days / 1900+ miles later...learning to ride is one of the best decisions I've ever made


Barely one month ago I hadn't ever even sat on a bike. But I came into money via a severance package and decided WTH, I've always wanted to learn. MSF course --> Yamaha Vstar that week.Been riding 2-3 hours on easy days. 3-5 hrs most others. The thing is, I don't intend to, but I just keep riding, keep finding excuses to stay out longer. Up canyons, on highways and backroads, to work and *everywhere* in between. It's the loudest kind of quiet I know and I'm beyond happy with this decision, to fold this experience into the stream of life and expanding perspective. All told, I've put 1900+ miles on the bike in the time I've had it. My friends are annoyed because I keep steering the conversation back to it (no pun intended). The woman I'm dating is {slightly} less annoyed as she appreciates the passion which shines through. She also wishes I'd wear a helmet more often.Best moment so far: a Sunday ~100 mile ride on the Peak-to-Peak highway from Boulder, CO to Estes Park, CO and back. Ran into a redheaded ex-student of mine on her Iron 883 and made plans to ride / connect at some point. Color the encounter serendipitous.Worst moment(s) are definitely feeling invisible. Often. Too damned often. Saturday nights in particular seem to bring out the kind of drivers, and driving, that makes for a bad scene. Lots of quick lane shifts, college students eagerly pulling out early, and the ubiquitous cell-phone wielding motorist.Anyway, felt like sharing that with this group, with those that might understand. On that...a quote I came across, “I am so obsessed with the bike that sometimes I feel like my heart is not a muscle, it’s an engine.” ~someone wise. someone I can relate to. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/cz0888/30_days_1900_miles_laterlearning_to_ride_is_one/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment