Tuesday 7 May 2019

After almost two years of riding, this is what I've learned.


In no particular order:1. Do not tailgate. Even if the person behind you is tailgating you. I like to use the 3 second rule: find a stationary item and make sure it takes you at least three seconds to pass it after the car in front of you passes it.2. It may take you two or three bikes to find one you really love. I started with a 250cc cruiser based on my MSF course, which was great to learn on. Then went to an SCR950 that I found very cumbersome despite visually very nice. It felt more like an obligation to ride it rather than really wanting to. I now have a Triumph STriple that I absolutely LOVE. Has renewed my enjoyment tenfold.3. Take the MSF intro course. Just do it, it is immensely helpful and informative.4. Mirrors can be helpful, but always always always look over your shoulder when changing lanes.5. If you are riding on a multi-lane road and a lane next to you is going much slower or is stopped, do not ride as fast as you can by them, it is likely someone will whip out into your lane since it's moving faster.6. Approach every intersection like it is a free for all and make sure you look for cars trying to turn in tight gaps between oncoming traffic (you).7. Slow down more than you think you need to going into blind turns. It's much easier and safer to speed up than to slow down while in them.8. Sometimes the best way to ensure your safety is to get past someone who is making you nervous. Riding on the highway with my 250cc made me appreciate being able to do this once I got a big bike.9. Smooth inputs on everything: throttle, brakes, turning in, body lean, etc.10. Avoid following pickup trucks, dump trucks, etc. Items in the bed can come loose, even if its not stuff you can readily see. Either change lanes or try to get in front of them.11. Try to avoid taking your bike if you are in a rush. I realize it's not always feasible, but if you know you're gonna have a tight schedule or need to rush somewhere after work, you compromise the ability to remain calm and not take chances.There are so many things you pick up on over time that can only be learned through experience. I'm sure I could make this list 100 items long, but this was what came to mind first. Feel free to add!Edit: added another, added numbers, and another, and another via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/blstlt/after_almost_two_years_of_riding_this_is_what_ive/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment