Monday 5 November 2018

In Defense of the Cruiser


I have been a long time reader of this sub, and one thing that I see time and time again is, "why would I buy a [insert cruiser] when I could get a [insert random sport bike]" and while on paper, I completely understand the argument and talking points, there is simply a different type of riding that cruisers will facilitate.Currently, I have an R6, a ninja 650R and a Vulcan 2000, 3 very different bikes with distinct personalities and use cases. While variety is the spice of life, I find that more often than not, I typically reach for the cruiser first when I'm thinking of doing any riding other than specific sport-type riding. The sport bike is my bad-influence friend: always egging me on to make bad decisions. My sport bike will be there with me, whispering in my ear to, "push it a little more, I'm sure we can make it." I am not relaxed on my R6. I am straining. Walking a tight-rope. The R6 is my friend that wakes up next to me in jail saying, "I guess that was a bad idea. Why did you listen to me?" My R6 trash-talks strangers and drinks jager-bombs and considers Scarface the best movie ever made. I like that friend, but I know that the friendship is one sided. My R6 only likes me if I'm up for that type of stuff too.There is no feeling like carving the twisties with a purpose-built machine like the R6. You truly feel like you're part of the bike; man and machine intermixed for unparalleled performance. It is an intoxicating feeling. However, riding the bike is an act of concessions: you give up all else in the name of performance. I see talk of, "grip the tank with your legs," and, "you get used to the sport riding position." While one does become accustomed to the feeling of being tucked into the fetal position that sport bikes require, you will never love it. If it truly wasn't, "so terrible," there wouldn't be an endless supply of bar risers, taller clip-ons, triple-tree converters, etc.If the sport bike is made to serve speed, then the cruiser is made to serve the rider. My Vulcan is an act of self-appreciation. Of self-love. Riding the Vulcan (or any cruiser) is to see the sights, to smell the air and to feel the sun shining on your face. You are never hurried on a cruiser, but you can feel accomplishment pushing it to it's limits. Anyone who claims that you cannot ride fast on a cruiser is speaking more to their riding skill than the machine. Here on r/moto we espouse the virtues of, "riding a slow bike fast," more than any other place on the internet, yet we reject the cruiser as antiquated. As slow. As primitive.I instead posit that the cruiser as one of the purest forms of motorcycling. There can be technology, yes, but still, popular motorcycles are being made with air-cooling. With carbs. No traction modes, no launch control, just a rider, their motorcycle and some liquid dinosaur.I do not begrudge anyone who does not own a cruiser, because bikes serve many different purposes, but I instead would like this to serve as a gentle reminder that any motorized vehicle on two wheels (not you segway) is an expression of joy and should be cherished. But don't get too caught up on technology. On quarter-mile times. On the latest-and-greatest-whatever-it-is. Motorcycles are about finding happiness. And I can certainly find happiness on a cruiser. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/9ulk8e/in_defense_of_the_cruiser/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment