Friday 14 September 2018

The evening ride I didn't know I needed......


Last night I was on the interstate heading home after running some errands. Instead of getting off on my normal exit, I decided to keep going and go ride down by the lake. (I have a routine "lap" that I do that consists of taking city streets south along the lake, then the interstate back across the Hoan bridge, and eventually home).I got off on my usual exit by the Amtrak Station, but that is where my normal routine stopped.The street that I normally take has tracks in it now for the new rail car system they are putting in. Because of these new rail tracks, I missed my normal turn on Water Street and continued down a few more blocks. After a series of "lets just go this way" I found myself down near the lake behind the Summerfest Grounds. I have been down here numerous times before, but by shear luck the sun was starting to set and it caused the channel navigation tower to catch my eye, so I stopped to enjoy it and snap a photo. (and the obligatory motorcycle sunset shot.)After leaving the lake, I went back to my normal routine lap, listening to some good music from back in the day and just enjoying the ride. When I got to the interstate to bring me back home, instead of taking a right over the bridge, I went left and went further south. I decided I would turn around after riding down by the airport. I was also getting hungry so I thought to spoil myself with some Suburpia subs and would eat it while watching planes land and take off at General Mitchell Airport (I'm also an avid aviation enthusiast also.)While I was standing there eating my sandwich with the sound and smell of jet traffic, it was then I realized how happy and relaxed I was. I realized I hadn't felt that good in a long time and it all stemmed from me being on the bike and just deciding to go for a ride. I didn't want to go home. I didn't want that night and that feeling to stop.When I finally decided to leave it was well after sunset. While crossing the Hoan, I lifted my visor, slowed down , and just took in the sight of the night city and the reflections of the landing lights of incoming aircraft reflect off the water. After a nice slow lap around Miller Park, I headed home.That motorcycle ride last night reminded me of why I love riding, and some of the sights and experiences that only riding can give to you. I hadn't realized how much of a funk I had gotten into due to work and everyday life stresses, and that ride brought me back from it.Just thought I would share with you all my experience from last night and thanks to everyone who read it. Safe riding! via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/9ftzjx/the_evening_ride_i_didnt_know_i_needed/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment