Tuesday 10 July 2018

Today I witnessed how much a helmet can help and how little of a difference it can make


I encountered two different situations today that I need to get off my chest. The first was a fatal accident I worked where a minivan turned left in front of a motorcycist. The motorcyclist was trying to make the yellow light, minivan thought he was good to turn left. The motorcyclist hit the van head on, left a head shaped crater in the windshield, and died instantly. He had his helmet on his seat cowl, but that wouldn't have done much besides keep his brain in his head. His spinal cord was severed inside his neck.The second was a motorcycle that refused to pull over because he had no plates. I didn't give chase, but rather followed from a distance. Eventually he failed to yield at a busy street, got t-boned at 40mph, ragdolled a few flips, and sprinted on foot faster than I could imagine. When I found him in a yard a block away he must have been out of adrenaline because he was totally relaxed and limped back to my car. I ended up finding his helmet hidden in a bush a few houses over with the visor scraped so bad you can't see out of it. I told him I'm glad he wore his helmet otherwise he might not have been able to run away from me.If you don't like ATGATT, at least wear your helmet. Sometimes it doesn't matter, other times it might mean your world. via /r/motorcycles https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/8xmblt/today_i_witnessed_how_much_a_helmet_can_help_and/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment