Monday 29 April 2019

Upgrade to Electronics - LiPo on 1979 Yamaha


Hello Internet,I have an old XS250 (XS360/400), I'm quite keen to put it on a bit of a diet when it comes to electronics. I'm still keen on having an electric start but am hoping to move to something like this. My thinking is that it has the over/under voltage protection built in (don't think Antigravity ones do)I know there's more to it than just a straight swap, but I want to make sure I'm not starting down a rabbit hole that i shouldn't be.From what I know, You need a 3 phase Stator. Which i believe it has, based on the Wiring from the alternator to the Regulator/Rectifier. While The Regulator/rectifier it came with seems to be in good condition, I was thinking i should probably switch it out for a solid state (thinking Hugh's Hand Made) Which i should provide a more consistent/smoother/less noisy voltage (ripple).What I'm not sure about is if I need to switch out to a PMA (Permanent Magnet Alternator) which could end up being quite costly. If I do need to upgrade to a PMA, How compatible would the XS650 be (there is a kit for that, but not specifically for the XS250/400).Is there anything else I should consider when it comes to moving from Lead Acid to Lipo? Indicators will be LED, Headlight standard bulb.Cheers via /r/CafeRacers https://www.reddit.com/r/CafeRacers/comments/bizllw/upgrade_to_electronics_lipo_on_1979_yamaha/?utm_source=ifttt

No comments:

Post a Comment